1kg Prawns/Shrimps deveined and cleaned. Oil for frying.
1 big potato cubed. Oil for frying
2 meduim tomato diced
2 tbsp lemon juice
Whole garam masala:
1 stick cinnamon
¼ tsp fennel
¼ tsp jeera
1 bay leaf
1 bulb garlic
3 inch ginger diced
12 green chilies
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp chili powder
100gms cilantro chop
2 tbsp mint (optional)
4 aloo bhukare
2 tea cup fried onions
1 tbsp salt
1 kg Long grain Basmati rice (I use Kohinoor premium)
1 gallon water or less
Whole garam masala (2 cloves, 4-5 peppercorns,1 big cardamom, 2 green cardamom, 1 bay leaves, 1 stick cinnamon, aniseed)
Big pinch of egg yellow color dissolved in water.
4 big cups finely sliced onions
1 cup oil (canola/corn)
1 cup ghee
½ cup cilantro cup
1. Clean the shrimps and set it aside.
2. Deep fry the potatoes and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl add the shrimps, haldi, lemon juice,chili powder, garam masala powder, salt and mix well. In ½ cup oil fry the prawns on high heat for 3-4 minutes only. Do not overcook the prawns. Remove and keep aside.
2. In a blender add yogurt, green chilies, garlic and ginger and blend it for 2 mins on high.
3. In a bowl mix the fried prawns, yogurt- green chillies, ginger garlic paste, tomato, cilantro, prunes, fried potatoes and salt to taste and mix well.
4. In a pan heat oil and add the onions. Sauté the onion till golden brown and looks crisp. It will take at least 15-20 minutes. Once done spoon it out in the paper napkins. Add 1 cup of onion to prawns and mix. You may make this step in advance to save time.
5. In a large pan boil the water, add the whole garam masala, salt and cook the rice until its ¾ done. Never over cook the rice. Its will rotten the biryani.
6. Strain the rice and keep aside.
7. In the thick bottom dish/6 qtr casserole add whole of shrimps at the base. Then add ¼rice. Top the rice with 1 tbsp of fried onions, cilantro, and mint and drizzle it with color. Repeat the same as layers of rice. Top it up with the ghee in a circular motion. Cover the dish with foil& with heavy lid.
8. Cook it on medium flame for 5 mins and when the dish is hot reduce the flame to low and let it cook for another 15 mins.
9. Turn off the heat and let it stand for 30 mins.
10. Spoon it out in a platter, serve with raita/kacumbar